Sunday, January 13, 2013

Open Letter to New York State Elected Officials Regarding Guns



New York already has some of the most restrictive gun laws and handgun licensing in the nation. The problem is that criminals don't follow the law. When I make a gun purchase, it's a 45 minute transaction as soon as I hand over my ID and start filling out paperwork until the sale is actually made at the register. A criminal merely goes to another state or buys an illegal gun on the streets of NYC, D.C., or Baltimore. Your restrictions may hamper me but they do nothing to impede a criminal.

I live in an area where a 911 call results in a 30-45 minute response time. In a matter of seconds, an armed response may be the difference between the arriving police officers taking statements or cordoning off a crime scene. I would prefer to be able to give verbal statements to a responder rather than leave evidence for crime scene investigators because I couldn't defend myself or my family.

I purchased my guns legally using the current system that's in place in NYS. The fact that gun owners exercise their 2nd Amendment rights does NOT make them "extremists". I am insulted by the Governor's labeling of people who believe in exercising their right to bear arms.

Perhaps the Governor and Mayor Bloomberg will give up their well-armed security detail and lead by example for all New York citizens? Perhaps Sen. Schumer will give up his carry permit and handgun for the same reason? I don't think so.

I was born and raised in New York State and have lived here all my life except for the time I spent in Marine Corps service. If New York State insists on trampling my 2nd Amendment rights further, it will be an impetus for me to move my family and my business to another state. I refuse to give up my rights for a false sense of security.

Hat Tip to Max Tollens Jr

Bookmark and Share

No comments: