Friday, February 11, 2011

Bolton for President: A ‘Goldwater Conservative’



John Bolton, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, tells National Review Online that he is seriously considering a 2012 presidential run. “I am a Goldwater conservative,” he says. “I am not a professional politician. I don’t anticipate running a typical kind of campaign, if I do make that decision.”

“I think in the last two years, President Obama has deliberately, consciously downplayed the threats that the United States faces in the world. I don’t think he’s interested in national security,” Bolton continues. “I think it is very important that whoever the Republican nominee turns out to be, they’re able to stand toe-to-toe with the president in the debates in 2012.”

Bolton says that he has been thinking about a 2012 challenge since early 2009, soon after President Obama first took office. “I don’t think he fundamentally believes that it is his job to advance American interests,” he says

Bookmark and Share

No comments: